- The East Suffolk Line including Sizewell to become a Guided Busway, with appropriately equipped HGV's to be permitted on the Busway between Sizewell and Martlesham/A12
- A spur from the Busway at Martlesham where current railway passes under the A12 so Sizewell C construction traffic can access the A12 where it is dualled without having to travel through local villages or the single carriageway section of the A12. Plans include Park & Ride site for Sizewell workers.
- The section of line between Westerfield and Bacon Curve will be widened, including new bridges so current Felixstowe traffic unaffected.
- Platform 1 at Ipswich will be converted to Busway to provide direct link and transfer between Busway and National Rail. The buses will then continue into Central Ipswich. It is envisaged at the Lowestoft end of the Busway buses will continue from Lowestoft Station into Lowestoft and beyond.
- It is expected local buses will link up with the Busway at hubs in Woodbridge, Saxmundham, Halesworth and Beccles so as many people as possible have access to the fast buses.
- Integrated fares with National Rail will be available so commuters using both guided bus and train will not be adversely affected financially.
|Could it really happen?|
|Who'd have thought it!|
|A Gemini up the ESL?|
Taking the threat of all the extra traffic from the construction of Sizewell C will go down very well with residents of places such as Yoxford, and Leiston will benefit greatly from the new faster services which should help property prices and encourage investment.
Obviously there will be some who vehemently oppose these plans. The ESL holds many memories for a lot of people, but I think this plan actually secures the route's future for generations to come, and means it won't just be abandoned to grow over if the money to maintain it runs out. I'll miss the test trains, but the reduced travelling times, and cheaper fares, which are essential, should see the route gain in popularity, and like the Cambridge Busway, attract enthusiasts to the area in their droves.
All that is now required is Sizewell C to be built. I hope it is. Then sights like this may become reality.