Pages

Tuesday 30 August 2016

Coach Services

Following on from Sunday's post where I revealed I had heard a rumour of Go Ahead having an interest in Coach Services, I have been contacted by Rob from Coach Services saying that there were a few open mouths at Thetford this morning as this was the first they had heard of it.

I emphasised on Sunday it was only a rumour, and I'm actually relieved to learn it was just a rumour. So don't panic (where has that been heard in Thetford before) passengers and staff of Coach Services it appears to be business as usual and my apologies for the multiple heart attacks this morning!

Many thanks, Rob, for getting in touch so soon and the kind words about the blog.

6 comments:

  1. The real question is what GO Ahead East Anglia are going to do to balance their books. I would guess internally Go Ahead East Anglia is an internal Profit Centre and the local management will be under pressure to deliver a profit rather than a loss. Go Ahead Group are unlikely to tolerate the current level of losses for long. It is not clear how much of the loss comes from the acquisition of these companies. The more important bit is are they delivering a trading profit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without too fine a point on it no they are not delivering a trading profit, in fact Anglian alone managed to lose 1.1m in the year 2014-15 alone. Any loss from acquisition would only show in the first year of trading anyway. No one quite knows what is going on, but then that sus Go Ahead up on a national basis, including their rail operations.

      Delete
    2. The cost of the acquisitions would go into the accounts at the time they were made but any losses from it can roll forward

      Delete
  2. One minor think I have not seen mentioned is that in another cost cutting measure SCC are to cease supplying printed copies of the Area timetable books. A short sighted measure in my view. Properly done these booklets can be a very good marketing tool but currently probably most people have never ever seen them so I guess most will not notice they have gone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amount of people I have seen on services to Aldeburgh, for example who are clutching the booklets. I know when I lived in Wickham Market there was a high demand for them in the library, newsagents etc. I assume First will continue to print them as most operators do, but the body representing the people will once again assume all pensioners are computer experts. Who gives these people jobs?

      Delete
    2. The electorate.

      We have gone back to the 1950s where the Councillors - or rather a few of them - rule the roost down to every detail; for better or worse.

      Delete