Pages

Monday 22 September 2014

News Round Up Extra

An extra post today to deal with a few issues that have cropped up since yesterday, and to put in things I forgot yesterday - it's my age!

New Links

Since I wasn't wandering round a giant coach park yesterday I was doing a bit of surfing looking at some blogs from other areas, and I'm pleased to say I discovered a couple of belters. First up we have  Plymothian Transit, which you will guess from its name concentrates on the Plymouth area. However, it has the biggest and most well laid out reference section to blogs around the country I have seen on any blog, and Graham is obviously a man of very good taste, as yesterday this blog was on top of the pile! I would urge you to take a look at that excellent blog by clicking here.

It was through Plymothian Transit that I found my second gem - Public Transport Experience - which is run by the twin that was clearly separated from me at birth. Calling himself Fat Bus Bloke (see what I mean) the blog is a fascinating look at transport around the country, told in a highly entertaining and somewhat cynical (see why I like it) manner. There is a daily post of amazing variation and detail, and this could become part of my daily routine. Make sure you have time to spare and then click here for a really good and informative read.

There is also a third new link, which is a bit different. Regular contributor and downright nomadic driver Rob Collins has started a new blog. I'm sure many of us have been on a bus going down South Town Rd in Yarmouth and looked at the ships in the docks and wondered who they are and what they do. Well Rob, as it turns out, is a bit of a ship nut and has launched his own blog called Great Yarmouth Shipping photos. I'm happy to include this interesting blog in my links section and may God Bless the blog and all who sail I mean read it! You can take a look by clicking here.

Student Guest

Jamie Skinner kindly sent  myself and Roy from East Norfolk bus Blog a pic this morning of Anglia Ruskin University tour bus in Gorleston this morning. I am going to shamelessly use the info Roy put on his blog and tell you that it is an ex National Express West Midlands MCW Metrobus, fleet number 2926, and is doing a tour of schools and colleges in the East of England promoting the university. One can only hope the easily confused people of Gorleston didn't think it was yet another different liveried bus for the X1. My thanks to Jamie for the pic and Roy's full report can be found by clicking here.

Anglia Ruskin University MCW Metrobus D926 NDA in Magdalen Way, Gorleston.   pic (c) Jamie Skinner
Yesterday Roy's blog also confirmed the departure from Yarmouth of Presidents 32201/2 to Norwich.

And Finally

This blog has an open comment policy. I can only think offhand of one other blog that does that. Other blogs approve them first before publishing and one just doesn't allow them. That is the right of each individual blog owner. I like comments. It helps with the interaction with readers and as I freely admit that I am human and make mistakes it means people can point out errors and I can correct them quicker. However, the open policy does mean sometimes I'll get comments that I feel aren't helpful and I will remove them

Such was the case yesterday in my Weekly News Round Up. I stated that Geminis 37578/9 as part of the repainting into X1 colours would get leather seat covering but not air chill, as the E400's do. I took that info from a tweet I remembered seeing from the Eastern Counties Business Manager in response to a query from another blogger. It is possible my memory may have played tricks on me but it was published in good faith. However, the following comment was made, under the name "anonymous", stating that I was mistaken and in fact it was only being painted. I immediately removed the sentence about the leather seating until I got official clarification, which I am still waiting for. I also stated that the first P&R B7rle to go for refurbishment was 69428, which was the number I remember being told, but that was also wrong and as soon as I was told it was 69425 I corrected it. I'm only human, I cover more areas than any other blog in this region, and as such mistakes will creep in occasionally. That is why I welcome comments helping me out.

What I do not welcome, though, are comments making snide remarks from the cloak of anonymity. I reserve the right to remove them, and I will continue to do so. However, it would appear that the removal of the comment yesterday has generated more bitchiness than you'll find at a convention of trainee beauticians. So as I recieve emails with copies of every comment published I will reproduce it below, then everyone will be able to see why it was removed. I am once again resisting the temptaion to ban comments under the name "anonymous" as I appreciate some people have to remain anonymous for professional reasons and I respect that. Luckily I know exactly who this Anonymous is, and the fact that despite him knowing that he is at it again speaks volumes.

I think u will find u are mistaken in the report of 37578 gaining leather seating, that is not the case and only repainting is planned! Good luck with your so called awards

Had I been able to edit the last sentence out I would have done, but having an open comment policy that faciilty is not available, so I decided to remove the comment while taking the info on board. Incidentally I have also heard from someone else that the two Geminis are getting air chill so I'll just wait for official clarification. If I don't get it you'll hear nothing more about those vehicles until the first one returns solving the mystery once and for all.

UPDATE

I have just had clarification from the Business Manager Eastern Counties and guess what - 37578/9 ARE to get leather seating. It won't be done at the same time as the painting as the painting is being done "out of house" but they WILL be done. I'll just sit back and wait for all the apologies to flood in. Yes I have the tube of Anusol standing by as I know it will be a long wait!!

18 comments:

  1. Steve,what really annoys me is all this bickering about one another,so what if someone gets it wrong,for crying out loud you guys,GET ON WITH ONE ANOTHER,it's not that ******* hard.
    We all know we have different views about almost everything in this world,it would be a sad old place if we all fancied the same women,we just wouldn't all get a look in would we.

    THIS IS NOT AIMED AT ANY ONE PERSON OK..JUST GET ON LADS FOR Pete's sake who ever he is.
    So why not accept,that some one elses views are going to vary quite a lot with for arguments sake yours,it's human nature,so come on chaps,repaort what you see and feel is right,hoping that the information you have been given is correct at the time you get it,ammendments can come later,with a bunch of flowers,only kidding.
    To recap,there are guys out there in other area's who read the blogs who will take the info for their records,which they can also amend if incorrect,life is too short when you get to over 70 to see all of what is going on,it's sad to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim I couldn't agree more. One of the things I first commented on when I became involved in this scene was the lack of humour and over seriousness that prevailed in the enthusiast community. That's why I try to inject a bit of humour and get silly t-shirts printed for example. I let anyone use my pics, either what I publish here or Flickr as I believe we are all in this together and we should share and share alike as long as due credit it given, and the way some people jealously guard their sacred pics is downright pathetic. At the same time though, when people either too cowardly to say who they are, or who can't back up their accusations with facts make spurilous accusations I have a right to defend myself and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both myself and Roy normally rely on Sam to correct our mistakes or typos, which he normally does with impressive speed. He manages to do it in a polite, respectful way for which i know we are both eternally grateful at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comments always welcome my way, but for some reason not anonymously! But we have installed our comment/chat room to get round it! www.norwichbusesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got rid of the approval of comments a few weeks ago too! It's to much hassle to have to accept them, especially if I'm not online & the comments aren't posted within a few days. I also remember questioning if the Geminis would get Leather seats - the answer obviously yes. Some people never learn- just ignore it :L You was right in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harry, and you just follow your own advice. You're doing ok, buddy, and your clear enthusiasm is plain to see. A pleasure to know you.

      Delete
  6. First of all thanks for the kind comments re Plymothian Transit. When I started there were very few public transport blogs, and a few that were around then have since disappeared. It can be hard work making blogs a success so I like to try and help others as much as possible. Its good to see other blogs such as yours trying to do the same.
    As for comments, it can be soul destroying to see nasty anonymous comments, but it seems to be an occupational hazard, especially as more people take notice of your blog. I only turned prescreening on as too many spam comments were getting through but with 'bus wars' in progress in Plymouth there have been quite a few comments on both sides which I have had to delete. Just dont let them get to you, and if it does get too bad then turn the comment checks on. Genuine people with something interesting to say will still leave comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Graham. Tne reason I leave comments unmoderated is for every anonymous dickhead there are a hundred decent people posting courteous, intelligent comments.

      I haven't been down your neck of the woods for years but now Megabus are part of my life I intend to change that in the next few months. I'll let you know as and when and maybe you can guide me around the Plymouth bus scene! Thanks for commenting buddy.

      Delete
  7. JohnDBus here Steve, pleasure to read your blog as always. I have a feeling my favourites section with the blogs might soon be overflowing based on your recommendations. Now off to polish the spectacles before an evening of reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, John - it is because of genuine contributors like yourself that I leave the anonymous option on. Happy readng!!

      Delete
  8. Good on you Steve regarding your stance of having an open forum. It is nice to read an unbiased blog as opposed to one that licks the bus companies up the preverbial. Yours alongside the excellent East Norfolk Bus Blog are my favourite reads. Just a thought, I think you should leave the anonymous, anonymous comments, i'm sure your readership will tell these fools where to go! Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Lee. Maybe you're right but there has to be a limit. I removed a couple tonight that got a little too personal but it's worth a thought. I'll judge them on a post by post basis. I guess East Norfolk Bus Blog is ok and as he practices he'll get better in the end :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we're your guests and have to remember that. Even as the perennial gatecrasher who, as you might have noticed, likes to stir the embers of debate and then stand back and watch the sparks fly, I've no problem with moderation whatsoever. I'm forever amazed with our love of taking "points of order", to me it seems neither big nor clever. There are more important things to be concerned about. The links to this and that, too, is what th'internet is about. And the awards idea, really made me smile. no smilies, so .

    ReplyDelete
  11. oops, what I wanted to say was thumbsup. First time I've got edited out by Google! May be they've automated the "right to be ignored"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a permanent place on the guest list, and I always look forward to your comments, Smurf, even if they are, as you say, designed to stir the sh sorry melting pot a little. but that is good, and if it creates rational, intelligent debate then so be it. Ok intelligent maybe a bit too much to ask so i'll settle for rational and polite. Ok rational it is :)) As for Google I wish they'd automate the right to be ignored on certain other people's computers!!!

      Delete
  12. Keep up the good work Steve. This is one of the best blogs on public transport out there. I look forward to your regular musings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep up the good work Steve. I will say that the healthy dollops of devilish good humour evident in your posts turn you from a regular read into a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Gentlemen. It's easy to let one or two get under the skin, but I read comments like those above and remind myself that the internet is just like real life - the huge majority of people are really decent peole, but there is always the odd dickhead trying to stir things up! Glad you enjoy the read!

    ReplyDelete