Pages

Sunday 28 June 2015

Sunday Snippets

Again there really hasn't been too much going on this week to warrant a full round up, but in the last 24 hours a few things have taken my notice which deserve to me mentiioned.

First of all I am very grateful to regular correspondent David Green, who keeps me updated on all things Galloway. David got in touch yesterday to tell me that Galloway have won the tender to operate the 113/4 Ipswich - Diss service from Simmonds. This will please God finally mean the end of those appalingly ghastly Plaxton Primos that Simmonds have been using on the route. David didn't tell me from what date Galloway are taking over but I would presume September. It will be interesting to find out what vehicles Galloway intend using on the route, and if they will be new or not. Galloway have also secured another Stowmarket - Bury route (service number unknown) to complement their existing routes.

I was going to post a pic of one of Simmonds Primos, but due to a memory card crash I can't access my pic archive at present, so did a Flickr search and found something far more scary! Does this livery from Baker Bus look familiar? I will never criticise a hard seated Anglian Scania again as Lord above it could be so much worse! This pic is by daveshrimpton60 whose Flickr page you can access here.

Baker Bus Plaxton Primo KX59 GOA about to enter Crewe Bus Station      pic by daveshrimpton60
Movng very swiftly on, literally in this case, and what is inevitibly to become the world's most famous preserved AEC Swift is as I type on its way back to Yarmouth after a spell of TLC at Rotherham. I felt sorry for Grahame Bessey yesterday when he was delayed for hours at Cambridge because of rail probs, but no longer. The jammy sod is on board said Swift and posted this pic on Twitter just prior to departure from Rotherham. The Swift is pictured with owners Danny Beales, Depot Manager at First Great Yarmouth, and a professional photo bomber.

Danny Beales and Chris Speed with their new baby, AEC Swift WEX 685M    pic Grahame Bessey
In other news (there isn't much) two more repaints have hit the streets of Norwich - the second Gemini 2 to be painted into Urban livery, 36172, is back on the road as is former Yarmouth Dart 42921, which was painted in house and Roundtree Way depot. This has apparently created some lively debate as it doesn't match to the millimetre other examples found around the country. I have yet to see it in the flesh so cannot comment, but it is a 10 year old Dart. It could have been painted by the ghost of Andy Warhol and it would still be a polished turd. Must be better things to talk about and if you are going to start painting in house (good economics) you need to practice on vehicles that don't matter if it turns out a little different. 42921 doesn't matter. Enough said.

Also in Norwich on loan Rotherham President 33126 has gained new style Norwich vinyls. Many thanks to Cameron Robinson for taking the trouble to send the pic in.

33126 in Castle Meadow with new style Norwiich vinyls
That's just about it. I have a busy week this week away from buses, plus it's Wimbledon so doubt I'll be out much but I'll post what I can when I can. Expect another Scottish post, hopefully one from London if my check up goes smoothly, and a post from Brighton Station I've had in the wings for weeks! Enjoy the sun!

16 comments:

  1. Might try out the Plaxton Primo's before they go, just to see how bad they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't manage it just sit on your washing machine at full spin and try to type on your phone and listen to music through earphones. Then you'll get the idea!

      Delete
  2. Would imagine Galloway will keep 118/119 too as there not many others with the vehicles to run them (Beestons being only one i can think of).As for vehicles on the 113/114,probably much the same as they are using on the other routes;solos mcvs,cadets etc.More vehicles will need to be sourced though which might mean Enviro 200's are considered....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only got the 118/9 again last year wasn't it? Doubt it will be up for tender for a bit though I agree not many others have the appropriate fleet.

      Delete
  3. im not sure to be honest. i thought it had been put back a year so it would be put up at same time as 113/114 but i stand to be corrected. 113/114 was up last year but there were problems which you may be aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anyhow,im happy for Galloway to continue running it.be nice to have some stability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. last time i rode on a Primo,there was a massive crashing noise on the Asda sliproad and i thought the engine had fell out. driver stopped and got out and found nothing.terrible things,not surprised they didnt take off although i would happilly watch one take off from the orwell bridge.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual a quality report ruined by the snidey comment about the Dart, which makes you look more of a fool than the people you are criticising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I disagree with that. You can't have seen the FB exchange I did the other night, and I was actually criticising the Dart itself not the paintwork, which I made clear I haven't seen for myself yet. I don't like Darts, I've never liked Darts, I will never like Darts. That also has been clear since I started this blog which is here to state MY opinions. I was also being critical of the ridiculously pedantic individuals who exist within the so called enthusiast community and make life an abject misery for everyone - who gives a toss if something isn't identical to a nanometre of something else! Perhaps you are one of them which is why you have declined to reveal your identity. I most certainly was not criticising First

      Delete
  7. Hi galloway has kept all services runs they are on the look out for new vehicles there should be a new decker coming home soon you are right the 116 service was gain last year but a legal problem put it back a year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is great news for us on the 118/119 services.nice to have some stability :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. Hi steve I have heard that up to four fresh vehicles will be needed from September I will keep you posted I don't know if you know there are four mcv buses in the fleet at the moment one o's all white and is on long term loan I think I told you a month back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David - your contributions are invaluable.

      Delete
  9. Hi steve if you on Facebook I'm David green with the galloway vanhool beside me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I'm not on FB yet, David. Trying to resist it as I don't need more stress and stupidity in my life! From what I've seen the world was a much friendlier place before FB arrived.

      Delete